Important: Lessons marked with an asterisk (*) are available for free tier members. For all other lessons, please ensure you have purchased a paid plan to access.
Learn English through the news! In this series of classes, you can support students developing their reading and discussion skill while learning about interesting news topics.
- Designed for 25 minute lessons
- Google slides format
- Focuses specifically on reading comprehension and discussion skills
- Suitable for learners with a B1-B2 English level
Most lessons contain a simplified version of the article within the slides, designed for students with a B1 English level or above, as well as a link to the original article – this may be more of interest to advanced learners, and can also be sent as a pre-reading task before the class.
These lessons are intended to supplement more formal core curriculum lessons. They can be completed in any order, and we would recommend picking out topics of most interest to your students. Within each category, lessons are roughly sorted by level (easy to difficult) in the drop-down menu.
Lessons typically start with a short vocabulary section (around 3-5 new words), followed by a reading comprehension activity, discussion questions and summary questions. Some lessons also include more detailed learning about the topic, for example an article about renewable energy may include a science section learning about global warming.
- You can send students the article to read before the lesson, thus giving them time to review any words they found challenging and grasp the meaning of the text.
- While reading the article together, ask students comprehension questions to assess their understanding. Feel free to extend these further by asking about their opinions on the topic too.