Teach in Korea
Do you want to teach English while exploring an incredible culture and country?
Apply now to teach English in Korea, with our next cohort starting in January 2022!
Why teach in Korea?
Korea is rapidly becoming one of the most popular TEFL destinations, attracting international English teachers with its rich culture, incredible history, beautiful landscapes and great career opportunities.
You will be responsible for teaching English as a second language. The majority of our partner schools are international or private schools in Seoul (the capital city).
- Teach English as a foreign language classes to children aged 6 – 17 (exact ages depend on school)
- Prepare teaching materials according to the school curriculum
- Attend meetings, training and activities as directed by your school
- Working hours: 40 hours/ week (weekdays 9am – 6pm) of which around 20 hours are teaching hours
- Vacation: Korean national holidays plus 20 days paid vacation (generally to be taken during the school holiday periods)
Note that your teaching contract will be signed directly with your school, and there may be some variations in exact responsibilities and contracted hours.
We are looking for teachers meeting the following criteria:
- A demonstrated passion for teaching or working with children;
- Previous experience teaching children with English as an Additional Language (strongly preferred)
You must also be eligible for an E2 visa, which currently requires that you are:
- Aged 20 – 60;
- Holding at least a bachelor’s degree in any subject;
- Citizen of: United States, Canada, United Kingdom, Republic of Ireland, Australia, New Zealand, or South Africa;
- Native English speaker or have studied from the junior high level and resided for at least 10 years in a country where English is the primary language;
- No criminal record;
- In good health
Note that this is a paid job and is therefore subject to a competitive application process.
Frequently Asked Questions
We do not charge a program fee, as this is classed as a paid job.
Applicants should be prepared for the following costs:
- International Child Protection Certificate (£75)
- Flight tickets (around £1000 – refunded upon program completion)
- Visa application fees (£193)
- Accommodation deposit
- First month’s living costs
We have a simple pay scale according to applicants’ experience and qualifications.
Level 3: 2.5 million won/ month
- Two years full time teaching experience plus teaching qualification; or,
- After one year teaching at level 2 if renewing contract with the same school
Level 2: 2.3 million won/ month
- One year of full time teaching experience plus teaching certification; or,
- After one year teaching at level 1 if renewing contract with the same school
Level 1: 2.1 million won/ month
- Teaching certification; or,
- After one year teaching at level 0 if renewing contract with the same school
Level 0: 2 million won/ month
- No previous teaching experience or qualifications
For salary determination, the following classify as teaching qualifications:
- Bachelor’s degree in teaching/ education/ Teaching English to Speakers of Other Languages
- Master’s degree in teaching/ education/ Teaching English to Speakers of Other Languages
- National teaching licence, e.g. Postgraduate Certificate of Education (PGCE) or Qualified Teacher Status (QTS)
- TEFL/ TESOL certificate (minimum 120 hours and fully accredited with verification code)
- CELTA or Trinity CertTESOL certificate
Note that the Abridge Academy 120 hour TEFL certificate is included in this program, but you must complete the course before signing your final contract in order to be eligible for level 1 salary or above.
There are several stages guiding you through the application process:
- Submit your CV and cover letter via email (see link above)
- Online interview via Zoom
- Collect documents: police record check, qualification certificates, two references, example lesson plan
- Interview with school via Zoom
- Sign contract
- Onboarding preparations
There are two main intakes each year: August and January. The next intake will depart for Korea in early January 2022.